Over the last decade, the cosmetic dentistry field of tooth whitening has come a long way with innovation in treatment at the office as well as at home. If you are looking at options for teeth whitening Indiranagar or close to you, here is some useful information on the different methods available to better help you choose.
In-office treatment with your dentist
Going to a dental clinic in Indiranagar for a whitening procedure is one of the better, more effective and longer-lasting methods. Dental office whitening is not what it once was. Sitting with custom made molds on your teeth filled with the whitening peroxide. After a few visits, your teeth were whiter but it was a costly procedure. Now there are several options, depending on your dentist, with procedures like Power or Laser Bleaching. It takes less time now but it is still the more expensive option for whitening.
Home whitening options
There are three main options for whitening in the home and all of them are more affordable than doing it in a dentist’s office but have varying results. Those options are brushed on whitening, whitening strips and bleaching gel trays from your dentist.
- Brush whitening – Using a brush you apply a formula to your teeth and leave it to dry on them overnight. While you can get some results with this method there are a few problems with it, two key ones being you have to keep it dry so when saliva gets on it parts rub off, and the second is that the alcohol in it can cause bad breath. Some suffer from tooth sensitivity as well because of the glycerin.
- Teeth whitening strips – These are a popular option when people want to avoid seeing a dentist, or want an affordable option. Again they do have some results but the problem with them is that they assume your teeth surface is straight. Most people have grooves and dips so the strips do not lie completely flat. So there are parts of your teeth not getting the whitening effect and they can start to stand out.
- Bleaching gel trays from the dentist – The most effective home teeth whitening Indiranagar option is what your dentist can send home with you. Bleaching gel trays, along with a custom made mold. The quality of whitening gels in dentist provided treatments are better than those you find in pharmacies off the shelf. This costs less than in-office treatments but is more than strips or other such whitening options. Do take care of any that use glycerin though as that issue with sensitivity comes from options that use that.
Getting the best results with gel trays
Here are five things you can do to get the best results with the gel trays whitening system from your Indiranagar dentist.
- Before whitening, brush your teeth well.
- Make sure the trays come from molds of your own teeth so they fit your specific bite.
- Use a strong gel that is glycerin free. You will see better whitening results and in a shorter time of treatment.
- Use an oxygenating mouth rinse after a treatment session. Do not use a mouthwash with alcohol in it.
- Stick to the treatment for at least 5 consecutive days. You choose whether you do the top and bottom treatments together or separately.
It should also be mentioned that every person should get teeth cleaning done twice a year (recommended) or at minimum once in a year. While this is not necessary for small kids but adults should definitely opt for teeth scaling or teeth cleaning twice a year. This prevents excessive deposits filling up at the base of the teeth that eventually causes gum problems, bleeding the gums and other oral health problems.
As far as teeth whitening goes this option is for someone with pale to very pale teeth color. If you think that every time you smile the color or appearance of your teeth is not what you would like to project then teeth whitening is a good option. Speak to a dentist who can clearly explain to you the pros and cons of teeth whitening. Also do not forget to ask the dentist what care is needed so that your shiny white teeth remain white for long.